Unfortunately the ground did dry up too much for Born To Please last night. It wasn’t too bad around the bend which is closest to the river but it had dried considerably in the home straight. As a result she couldn’t really handle the pace of the race. Jason felt she was hanging quite badly because she wasn’t enjoying it but he eased her down just in case there was something more amiss. In the circumstances I think he did the right think. She has come out the race a little stiff but thankfully no more than that. She’s been on the go for a long time now and we just haven’t been able to get any suitable ground when we needed it this spring. It might be an idea to turn her out for the summer rather than keep waiting for the odd day of bad weather here and there. Surely we will have more chance in September/October/November when the nights start to draw in, generally the ground doesn’t dry up as quick. Of course if we do give her a holiday we will condemn us all to a very wet summer! She will stay fit for a little while so we don’t have to make the decision just yet.
Miracle and Pete are both ready to run at Newbury on Friday. The declarations are tomorrow so we will know more about the races then. Miracle likes the ground on the quicker side which I think it will be but if it was very quick we might not run Pete. We’ve chanced it a few times but I don’t want to push our luck.